Tuesday, February 3, 2009

"Oh! That's Argentina"

I came to BsAs in 2006 and was instantly drawn to Porteño culture. I wasn't so intrigued by the seductive dance of the tango, the thriving café culture, or the European influenced architecture - instead I was fascinated to find out more about the gripping questions that seemed essential to understanding Argentine society: How can Porteños shop so much on the salaries they make? Why has the mullet been a trendy hairstyle for both men and women for over 20 years? Why on earth are flower shops open 24 hours a day, but you can't find even an empanada past 2am?

My attempt to immerse myself into this culture left me more confused than ever as I have come to the conclusion that there is no rhyme or reason to this ridiculously magnificent country.

I had to find a way to document some of the daily occurrences that are unexplainable to anyone who has never traveled to this glorious place. Although "Blogs" are totally not my thing (yes, I just put the word blog in quotation marks) I found it's the only way to share the reasons why I love this South American country.


Photo of la Presidenta Cristina Kirchner with her lovely husband, (aka el penguino "the Penguin"), ex-Presidente Néstor.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
counter