Sunday, September 27, 2009

The Hunt For Good Sushi Continues...

In the past few years, Sushi in Buenos Aires has become a recent trend. In a country defined by their meat, when I first arrive in 2006 it was quite difficult to find variety and utterly impossible to find reasonably priced ethnic food (I'll have to write another entry on this!). Not to make a huge generalization about an entire culture, but the locals I had come into contact were willing to scarf down parts of a cow that I did not know were legal to eat, while at the same time considered raw fish to be a huge asco (disgusting).

Good roll memory in Lima, Peru

Times have changed. The demand for this fashionable food has increased as have the number of Sushi and Japanese "style" (note the quotes) restaurants. In my experience, the majority of the sushi (rolls, sashimi, niguiri) are inediblely abismal. In short, it's a copy of the US/Western world's copy of traditional Japanese - lots of imitation crab, canned tuna, hacked fishy tasting salmon, and philadelphia cream cheese galore - all at prices that would be expensive for US standards (if you don't know, BA is CHEAP as hell if you have dollas).
As an avid admirer of Japanese food, I have embarked on the difficult journey of finding tasty sushi without spending half of my peso paycheck on one dinner. I was really looking forward to trying this place near my new apartment called Shiru, I read about it on guiaoleo.com, and all 8 reviewers gave in good marks (the fact there were only 8 should have been a red flag).
The good thing about this place is you can order half rolls, so instead of flushing my money on 30 peso rolls, I could order more variety for the same non-bargain...I ordered a combo of salmon sashimi and nigiri (ehh) and some rolls containing "tempura shrimp" (I put this in quote bc the tempura was like bread dropped in the sink - I know, you are shuddering at the thought - and the shrimp had the veins still hanging by a thread).

Much better than my last experience at PequeñoSan, the quaint Recoleta café turned sushi restaurant only at night with partially cooked rice... but for the 30 pieces of not so great quality at AR$85, I think I will keep trying until I find a hit.

1 comment:

 
counter